Packing For Louisville and the Bourbon Trail
Mike and I are going to Louisville, KY with some friends to do the Bourbon Trail this weekend! It's been a bucket list trip for all four of us and we're stoked! Packing has taken some real forethought since temperatures average in the 90s and we're going to be sipping hard booze and eating Hot Browns for four days. Aside from all the eating and bourbon boozing, Louisville is full of fancy places like The Champagnery and the Seelbach Hotel, the setting for the wedding scene in The Great Gatsby. So as you can see, our agenda is a mixed bag of outdoor casual and evening dressy so my suitcase better be, too!
My BFF perfectly described our packing strategy: as each day passes, our outfits should get roomier. (Biggest packing tip of all time: know thyself.) A fitted dress for cocktails and a nice dinner on our first night. A tailored romper and sun hat for bourbon trailing all day Friday (car leaves at 9AM y'all, they don't play). Then by Saturday all bets are off. I'm not even packing leggings so I won't be tempted.
Here's a look at the items I'm packing for our four day trip to Louisville, followed by a brief description of each one so you'll know why it's worth bringing!
2. Purse Organizer // I always use this in my tote bags; it comes in extra handy for keeping up with travel necessities, room keys, tickets, phones, etc.
3. Louis Vuitton Neverfull MM // The most aptly named bag of all time. I always travel with my Neverfull because it holds so much and elevates my outfits...even if they cost next to nothing! (With the right bag, nobody can ever tell.)
4. Tortoise Sunglasses // Glam, oversized, and under $20. Look mysterious while hiding bourbon-induced eye bags, ya feel me?
5, 6. Chanel Foundation and Bronzer // Just re-upped my base makeup with these two Chanel beauty blogger faves. The foundation has SPF 25 and gives you a slight glow. The bronzer is creamy, easy to blend, and gives your skin L-I-F-E baby! You can apply both with this retractable angled brush in a handy travel-friendly size.
7. Gingham Pleated Dress // A classic southern print updated in this flowy shirred fabric! I bought this dress in pink for Mother's Day and it's so comfy and gets all the compliments. Planning to style it with some white Chuck Taylor's (#12) and this...
8. Straw Boater Hat // This hat is an homage to my grandfather, born in Bardstown, KY, who loved wearing a straw boater hat with his sharp blazers. A true southern gent! We're planning to visit the farm where he grew up.
9. Apple Watch // I'm so attached to this thing for keeping time, tracking steps (we'll be walking A LOT!), and checking texts without digging my phone out of my giant bag.
10. Yeti Cooler // We booked a private car for our big day out on the trail. We're allowed to bring hydration and libations along for the ride so we're bringing the big daddy cooler to hold it all and keep it cool in the brutal heat.
11. Floral Midi Dress // Sweet with southern charm, perfect for visiting Louisville's historic landmarks and neighborhoods. The thick straps make wearing a regular bra easy -- no sweating off a sticky bra for me!
12. Converse Chuck Taylors // The classic white sneaker to wear with cut-off denim and dresses.
13. Lace-up Sandals // So pretty on the foot, and better yet, so comfortable. The strappy-ness give solids a little more oomph but the barely-there design means they can go with anything.
14. Rancher Hat // This ivory hat goes with SO much and styles up your casual looks. I can wear it with any of my day time options and disguise sweaty, flat hair in the name of fashion. That's what you call a WIN.
15. White Romper // Tailored but not tight, in a crisp summery white. (Almost ordered the pink though!) Breezy, comfy, compatible with a regular bra...it felt like my best chance of staying put together after nine hours on the Bourbon Trail.
18. iPhone Camera Stabilizer // This fancy gadget stabilizes your phone while you film video as well as panning and zooming with the touch of a button. A great option if you plan to film a lot of video during your travels.
19. Sage Green Halter Dress // The vintage vibes and dramatic open back have me swooning over this linen dress. If we choose to do a dressy casual dinner one evening, this is my go-to look for that occasion.
20. Boho Paisley Dress // Comfy enough for travel, cute enough for daytime sight seeing. Will hide bloat and Hot Brown belly bumps.
21. Drip Drop Hydration Powder Sticks // What the kids are using to fight hangovers these days. Just add to water like a Crystal Lite packet! The trick is to use before bed and the next day. Will still be packing my bougey coconut water though :)
22. Dolman Sweater // Ahhh the timeless tale of the husband who likes the car's A/C on -50 while the wife freezes into cryo mode. Planning to wear this comfy, forgiving sweater with cream pull-on shorts on a travel day, or to pick up breakfast from Fall's City Market in our hotel in the AM.
23. Nude Heeled Sandals // The shoes that go with everything are the ones that belong in your suitcase. And these are just $23.
Have you ever traveled to Louisville or ventured along the Bourbon Trail? We're taking some time on our way up there to drive through Bardstown, KY, where my grandfather grew up on his family's farm. That's going to mean a lot to me, for sure.
As we've researched Louisville we've found so many cool things to explore -- we are so excited to visit! Where are your summer travels taking you this year?
Thanks for stopping by the blog today, friends!